June was an awesome month, filled with lots of fun and visiting with all kinds of family. We started off the month with a trip to Elizabeth City, NC to visit some of our extended family there and check out Mid-Atlantic Christian University (where my parents graduated from and then worked at). I was born in good old E-town and had not been back in many years, so it was great to reminisce and show James around.
After that we headed to Virginia to visit my grandparents and the rest of the family on my Mom’s side. It’s always good to get to see family since we live so far away from everyone, and of course everyone wanted to see Jack!
James celebrated his 2nd Father’s Day this month, and on that same day our church celebrated the groundbreaking of our new Youth building. It was a fun day to be a part of!
We did a decent amount of going to the pool this month, although I admit not as much as I would have liked. Jack is now at the stage where all he really wants to do is walk around and explore, so it can be rather tiring just chasing after him there. He of course loves to try and get into things he’s not supposed to and thinks he’s totally capable of jumping in the deep end of the pool, so yea, it means having a CONSTANT eye on him, which doesn’t lead to much actual swimming time. Some days we opted to just stay in our backyard and play in the baby pool or sprinkler. :-)
We took a family trip to Hilton Head one day and Jack had a blast running up down the beach by the water! This kid LOVES water and animals, so when we found a dog playing in the ocean, Jack was pretty much in toddler heaven.
I also got to shoot a fun wedding in Hilton Head this month that you can check out here.
June was a very hot, yet great “official” start to the summer. Looking forward to some awesome stuff coming up in July!
Jack wasn’t really in the mood for picture taking when we took this month’s 3×12 Project Photo, but it was HOT day and he was worn out, so I can’t blame him. :-)
I recently had the opportunity to shoot a beautiful destination beach wedding at the Palmetto Dunes Oceanside Resort in Hilton Head Island, SC with Sylvia Schutz Photography. Despite showers earlier in the day, by the time the ceremony rolled around we had absolutely gorgeous weather! Beth and Mark were surrounded by their closest family and friends, who had all traveled in from out of town for their big day. Have I mentioned before that I LOVE a good beach wedding?!?
I procrastinated on writing this post quite a bit because as we got to the end of May I realized we had not taken a photo of the three of us with a nice camera. I was so bummed! I went back through all of my photos from the month and the only one I could find with all of us in it was grainy cell phone photo we took while relaxing on the couch one afternoon. But in reality, that is how life is a lot of the time. Days pass by so quickly that we forget to slow down and make time for the things that are important to us. This was a good reminder!
May is always a fun month for me since it is the month of my birth. :-) Now, I wasn’t especially excited to get one year closer to 30 (I am still in denial that the big 3-0 is coming next time around), but I did enjoy celebrating with my little family and getting to do some things that I wanted to do (like going shopping by myself) and finally using a spa gift certificate that James had gotten for me last year!
We also finally got things going with our new small group at church, and have been enjoying getting to know some new friends. We spent a good bit of time hanging out with friends and neighbors, and really started to get some good use out of our community pool (May is pretty much the start of summer here in Savannah). Another cool thing I did was take a self-defense class! That was a lot of fun and trust me when I say that I am quite dangerous now.
All in all, it was a great month! What I will remember from this month’s picture is: 1) My child is way too cute for words. 2) Never let James go into the bathroom with a razor after I’ve gone to bed or he will shave his head.
As I sit down at the end of each month to think about what went on in our lives the 30 days prior, it always hits me how different life is for us now from just one year ago, and DRASTICALLY different than two years ago! I am reminded that I have so much to be thankful for and am ever so grateful for these busy days that leave me wanting to collapse on the couch each evening! I wouldn’t trade this for anything. :-)
While April is usually considered Spring in many areas around the U.S., it really is more like the start of summer here in the deep South. As in, our community pool opened mid-April, so you know where I have been spending a lot of time recently! Here are some other fun memories from April:
- We started getting a “farm box” from Heritage Organic Farm, which just so happens to be the first certified organic farm in the state of Georgia. Buying produce might not be such a memorable thing to most people, but you do not even understand how excited I have been about this! I have really been working hard recently to purchase and cook healthier meals for our household, utilizing lots of fresh produce, and staying away from processed foods as much as possible. While I’m not sticking to any firm eating plan, I find most of my recipes from “clean eating” or “eating whole” websites/blogs. I have been having so much fun going to pick up my produce box and seeing what’s in it!
- Shot a beautiful destination wedding at Tybee Island Wedding Chapel with Jillian Tree. You can check it out here!
- Worked with some of my awesome wedding clients on their engagement session in downtown Savannah.
- Did a LOT of garage sale-ing! This month is when garage/yard sales really start to pick up speed around here, and I admit I have a small addiction. What people don’t tell you before you have a baby is, DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BRAND NEW BECAUSE YOU WILL FIND THE SAME ITEM FOR PRACTICALLY BRAND NEW AT A YARD SALE FOR $0.50. True story.
- Got to enjoy a nice visit from my parents for a few days. Jack had a blast hanging out with his Grannie and Grandad! Note: Parents will for sure come and visit you when you are housing their grandchild.
- Had lots of “baby playdates,” hung out with photographer friends, and took part in some social activities at church.
This month’s photo was taken on Easter weekend at church and I just love it! Last year’s photo was a bit, how should I say…. worse. Jack was just a couple weeks old at the time and James and I both looked like walking zombies. I will do you a favor and not post it. I like this year’s though!
Also, after this photo was taken I may or may not have trimmed Jack’s hair after watching a YouTube video. I had had one too many, “How old is she?” and “What is her name?” Not to mention, the bangs were getting in the way of eyesight, which is pretty important for a toddler. While I at first thought I had completely butchered the hair cut, I figured out how to fix it so it looked cute and James even said I did a good job! Soooo if anyone needs a hair stylist, I’m obviously your gal.